The ICAEW guide to successful job search
ICAEW has teamed up with Simon Gray, ICAEW Chartered Accountant, former recruiter and author of ‘Super Secrets of Successful Executive Job Search’, to create a series of podcasts offering expert insights in how to find and secure the finance job you want.
Who are these podcasts for?
- Any ICAEW member who is looking to move jobs or take the next step in their finance career.
- The series will be particularly useful for members working at management or executive level.
- Anyone wanting to pick up strategies and tools based on experience of what works in practice, not in theory.
Strategies and tools to get the job you want
In a highly competitive industry, such as accountancy, knowing how to write a CV and basic interview techniques are not enough to succeed in securing your dream job.
A sophisticated understanding of the job market, an appreciation of how your mindset impacts the roles you apply for and the ability to effectively network, both online and offline, are crucial skills, according to Career Codex founder Simon Gray, FCA.
In a series of 10 podcasts, Gray and guest speakers from recruitment and the business world explain their approach to a successful job search, giving you the tools to understand:
- how the job market really works and how to position yourself to stand out;
- how what you believe ultimately leads to your success or failure in the job market;
- how to define the job you want and build a personal plan to deliver that opportunity; and
- how to adapt your CV, interview technique, social media and professional networking in line with your new understanding of the job market.
Listen to our podcast series
The 10 podcasts are available below and the series is also available on iTunes.
Episode 1: Getting started on your successful job search
In this episode, Gray outlines his approach to finding success in the job market, as well as providing an overview of the tools you will gain throughout this podcast series and introducing himself and his guests who appear throughout the series:
- Sally Adams, Acting Chief Financial Officer at Electrocomponents Plc;
- Andrew Clark, Finance Director at Costa Enterprises; and
- Jonathan Firth, Managing Director Michael Page Finance.
Meet the experts
Simon Gray Career Codex
After starting his career at KPMG, Simon Gray, FCA, has spent more than 15 years working in recruitment. In 2013, following the publication of ‘Super Secrets of the Successful Jobseeker’, Gray set up Career Codex which offers training to jobseekers on how to take a different strategy to their job search and stand out from their peers. His latest book, ‘Super Secrets of Successful Executive Job Search’, was published in July 2015.
Sally Adams Electrocomponents
Sally Adams joined global engineering parts distributor Electrocomponents in 1996. Listed on the London Stock Exchange, Electrocomponents has operations in 32 countries and an annual turnover of more than £1.2bn.
Andrew Clark Costa Enterprises
Andrew is Finance Director of Costa Enterprises, (part of Whitbread Group). He started his career at KPMG where he qualified as a Chartered Accountant and as a Corporate Treasurer. He spent a year in audit before moving to Corporate Restructuring where he spent five years advising banks who had invested in companies which were underperforming.
Jonathan Firth Michael Page Finance
Jonathan Firth has 20 years’ recruitment experience in the UK, with the last 10 years at PageGroup. While the majority of his career has been in finance recruitment, his experience at PageGroup includes assisting with building their search business and running their legal recruitment business across the UK.